Select question to expand for the explanation. Not finding what you’re looking for, contact us here.
GENERAL QUESTIONSIs it illegal in Oregon to wear a face mask and conceal carry?
Do all Oregon Sheriffs accept this course/certificate?
Am I guaranteed to be issued a CHL upon completion of this course?
What does concealed mean?
I don’t have an Oregon concealed handgun license. How do I transport a handgun in a vehicle?
I live outside of Oregon but travel there frequently, can I get an Oregon Concealed Handgun License?
Do private property owners and business owners have the right to prohibit all firearms from their property?
I am a business owner and would like to carry a concealed handgun within my business. Do I need a CHL?
Do I have to tell the police I am carrying a concealed weapon?
I am a veteran with a DD214; does that satisfy the competency requirement for my application?
Are there places I can't carry my handgun concealed?
- Any federal facility — federal courthouses, social security offices, secured areas of airports, airplanes.
- Posted private property where the owner prohibits firearms possession, and others.
- Many private businesses have conditions regarding the possession of firearms on their premises. If you violate these conditions you could, under certain circumstances, be subject to arrest under Oregon trespass laws, in which case, if convicted, your concealed handgun license would be seized and/or revoked.
- National parks in areas that are marked/posted with signs prohibiting all firearms. This will no be all national parks, but some have specific rules for visitors to abide by. In those areas (whether buildings or outdoors), it will be prohibited since it is marked accordingly. For example, this might be on a bus, shuttle, boat, or ferry. Again, this will be dependent upon the specific park. Due to confusion on this topic, please refer to NPS.gov for more information.
- Indian reservations or property — you may not carry a firearm concealed without the written permission of the tribal judge; this may also apply to certain casinos on tribal lands.
- Courts — in a courtroom, jury room, judge’s chambers, or adjacent areas that the presiding judge determines should be free of firearms to ensure the safety of litigants, court personnel, witnesses, and others.
PLEASE NOTE: If you plan to carry your handgun, it is important to research the requirements at these locations before you go. Please see the Oregon Revised Statutes for any updated State of Oregon restrictions. If in doubt, contact the facility you plan to visit directly to obtain their policy.
LICENSE QUESTIONSHow long is my Concealed Handgun License Valid?
Does my concealed handgun license work outside the state of Oregon?
What are the requirements for obtaining a concealed handgun license in the State of Oregon?
You must apply for a concealed handgun license in the county in which you reside.
Be a U.S. citizen or a legal alien who can document continuous residency in the United States for at least six months and who has declared, in writing, to the INS the intent to acquire citizenship (Form N300).
Be at least 21 years of age.
Have no legal condition that would prohibit you from possessing a firearm under either Oregon or Federal law.
- Have no outstanding warrants for your arrest.
- Not have been dishonorably discharged from the Armed Services.
- Not be an unlawful user of, or addicted to, a controlled substance.
- Not be on any form of pre-trial release.
- Not be required to register as a sex offender in any state.
- Not have been convicted of a misdemeanor, or found guilty of a misdemeanor within four years prior to application, except under ORS 151.295.
- Not be subject to a citation issued under ORS 163.735 or an order issued under ORS 30.866, 107.700 to 107.723 or 163.738 (e.g. Stalking or Restraining Orders).
- Demonstrate competence with a handgun by any one of the following means:
- Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the State Department of Fish and Wildlife or a similar agency of another state if handgun safety was a component of the course;
- Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course if handgun safety was a component of the course;
- Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by law enforcement, community college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or a law enforcement agency if handgun safety was a component of the course;
- Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, reserve law enforcement officers or any other law enforcement officers if handgun safety was a component of the course;
- Present evidence of equivalent experience with a handgun through participation in an organized shooting competition or military service;
- Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state, unless the license has been revoked; or
- Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a firearms instructor certified by a law enforcement agency or the National Rifle Association if handgun safety was a component of the course.
What will the concealed handgun license allow me to do?
Does a concealed handgun license allow me to carry any weapon?
Where do I find more about Oregon concealed handgun license laws?
Other references to the ORS listed on this page can be found at https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/bills_laws/pages/ors.aspx.
If my concealed handgun license application is denied or my concealed handgun license is revoked, can I appeal?
Does Oregon recognize any other state’s concealed handgun licenses?
I lost my CHL card, who do I contact?
I moved and need to update my address
I moved to a different county, what do I need to do?
ONLINE COURSE QUESTIONSI requested a new password and I'm not getting an email
Am I guaranteed to be issued a CHL upon completion of this course?
After I pass the online course what do I do next?
Click on the county to find out more information about their CHL application process:
A certificate obtained by completing this course does not guarantee you an Oregon CHL. Please contact a county sheriff’s office to ensure they will accept your application BEFORE spending money on this, or any other, CHL course.
How do I get my certificate after I complete the online course?
My certificate says N/A for the NRA #, what do I put on my concealed handgun license application?
Does my course certificate expire?
MEASURE 114 QUESTIONSWhat are the requirements to get a M114 Permit-to-Purchase?
- Not be prohibited from purchasing or possessing a firearm;
- Pass a criminal background check;
- Not be subject to an Extreme Risk Protection Order;
- Provide proof of completion of online or classroom training in three specific areas –
- Review of federal and state laws in place at the time of the class and other safe practices related to ownership, purchase, transfer, use and transportation of firearms;
- Review of federal and state safe storage laws in place at the time of the class and other safe practices related to safe storage, including reporting lost and stolen guns;
- Prevention of abuse or misuse of firearms, including the impact of homicide and suicide on families, communities and the country as a whole.
Provide proof of completion of an in-person demonstration of the applicant’s ability to lock, load, unload, fire and store a firearm before an instructor certified by a law enforcement agency.
Pay a $65 fee and submit an application for a permit, along with presenting government-issued ID for the permit agent to determine your identity.
Allow the permit agent to photograph and fingerprint you.
The permit agent must also find that you do not present reasonable grounds to conclude that you have been or are reasonably likely to be a danger to self or others, or to the community at large, as a result of your mental or psychological state or as demonstrated by your past pattern of behavior involving unlawful violence or threats of unlawful violence;
Is this course the only thing I need to do to get a Permit-to-Purchase?
Why do I have to take the full course if I already have my CHL?